- Weekend Mixed
- Pizza League
- Sunday Open
- Monday Open Skins
- Daytime Open Skins
Sturling features two-person teams of slide, stick or wheelchair curlers. Games are played starting at 1:00 pm every Wednesday afternoon.
A game of Sturling is six ends and only takes about 1 hour to complete. One member of each team stays at each end of the sheet and alternately delivers 6 rocks with the opposing player at their end. The next end, roles are reversed and the other players deliver the stones back. Sweeping is only allowed from the hog line to the back of the house at the playing end. No stone may be removed from play prior to delivery of the fourth stone of each end, including rocks in the rings.
To see a copy of our schedule for the upcoming season, please click here.
The weekend Mixed Section is a fantastic, fun section at the Leaside Curling Club. There are a total of eight flights of eight teams – 256 players on 64 teams. With a league of this size, there is a level of curling that suits everyone. We have seasoned, competitive curlers to new beginners and everything in between.
Generally the Mixed Section fills quickly, and often there is a waiting list to join the league. You can sign-up as an individual, pair or full team. Please register early if you are new to the Mixed Section or are a returning member.
The weekend Mixed Sections alternates games between Friday @ 7:00 pm; Friday at 9:00 pm; Sunday at 12:30 pm; and Sunday at 2:45 pm. A team is comprised of two men and two women, who must alternate positions.
Teams are allocated to one of 8 flights, based on the level of competition. At the completion of each draw (a draw consists of 7 games), teams change flights depending on performance. All teams advance to a playoff round and are guaranteed two games in the playoffs.
The first scheduled games for the 2017/18 season are on Friday September 22 & Sunday September 24.
To see a copy of our full year schedule, please click here
The Sunday Pizza league is a fun league that is ideal for newcomers to the sport, for curlers looking to try a new role, or for people looking for a more relaxed schedule. The league plays 14 games a year, from October to March/April, with no playoffs. There are also two clinics put on by the section, or optional "tag" draws that are just a fun time to mix it up on the ice. Periodically throughout the year, games end with a pizza dinner provided by the section. Other potluck snacks, including cookies, salads, or other sides are highly encouraged! It is a great way to bond with the other team after stepping off the ice.
The Sunday Pizza league only accepts 8 teams per year, and as such tends to fill up quickly.
For 2017/18, the pizza league season opening clinic is scheduled for Sunday October 22; first regular season game will be Sunday October 29 (game time is 5:45 pm each week).
Note: as of July 27, 2017, the pizza league is full!
The Sunday Open is a beginner to semi-competitive league that can accommodate 24 teams. Each team is assigned to one of three flights (A, B & C), which contain eight teams each. Every team plays up to 24 games per season, which include three, seven-game round robins (“draws”) and three playoff games. Teams may move up or down a flight based upon their won-lost records. This enables teams to find their appropriate skill level so that games remain both competitive and fun. The third and final week of playoffs concludes with an end of season celebration where players can eat, drink and socialize while we award prizes to our top teams.
The first scheduled date of play for the 2017/18 season is Sunday September 24, 2017. Games are played at 5:45 pm (4 sheets) / 8:00 pm each week (8 sheets).
The Monday Skins league is an open league (ie. teams can be any combination of men and women). Games in this league alternate between 7:00 pm and 9:00 pm every Monday evening. You can enter as a full or partial team, or as an individual.
Each week, teams play for the 15 skins which are up for grabs in the game. In order to win the skins in any end, the team with hammer has to score two or more points, or the team without hammer must steal. If an end is blanked or the team with hammer only scores a single point, the available skins are carried forward to the following end. Games are 6 ends in length, with 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, and 4 skins available in respective ends. In the event there are skins still to be won after the sixth end of play, one player per team will draw to the button, with the team closest to the button winning the remaining skins.
The first games of the 2017/18 season are scheduled for Monday September 25.
Wednesdays, 9:10 a.m. - individual entry
NEW FOR 2017/18: The Daytime Skins league will be open to both males and females!
If you are interested in playing skins on Wednesday mornings, then read on to learn more about how our league works.
- Ice is available at 9:10 am. Games start at 9:20 am and must finish no later than 11:30 am.
- Each game will consist of 8 ends, with scoring in the following way: 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3 = 15.
- If there is a carry-over on the last end, one member of each team will draw to the button. If a second draw to the button is necessary, any member of the team can deliver it.
- Spares will be drawn from the list of spares and from the general membership of the club. A spare must play in the position for which he/she is sparing.
- Points will be assigned individually to determine the overall champion in each position. Spares receive points; absent players do not receive points. However, a Daytime Skins player participating in the annual TCA Goldline championship shall arrange for a spare (see rules above regarding "spares") and shall be awarded the same points as those earned by that spare.
- New teams will be created for each draw. Each draw will be 3 games.
- Each player throws in the order of his/her position.
- With our games starting at 9:20 a.m., we have 2 hours and 10 minutes to play. If the seventh or eighth end cannot be finished within this time frame, do not start that end. One team member shall draw to the button for the remaining points.
- A small levy may be charged to each skins participant to establish a prize fund for distribution at the end of the season. Spares will not be expected to contribute.