- Weekend Mixed
- Pizza League
- Sunday Open
- Monday Open Skins
- Daytime Open Skins
- Super 7 Saturday Starter Series
- Open Doubles Series
The weekend Mixed Section is a fantastic, fun section at the Leaside Curling Club. There are a total of eight flights of eight teams – 256 players on 64 teams. With a league of this size, there is a level of curling that suits everyone. We have seasoned, competitive curlers to new beginners and everything in between.
Generally the Mixed Section fills quickly, and often there is a waiting list to join the league. You can sign-up as an individual, pair or full team. Please register early if you are new to the Mixed Section or are a returning member.
The weekend Mixed Sections alternates games between Friday @ 6:45 pm; Friday at 9:00 pm; Sunday at 12:30 pm; and Sunday at 2:45 pm. A team is comprised of two men and two women, who must alternate positions.
Teams are allocated to one of 8 flights, based on the level of competition. At the completion of each draw (a draw consists of 7 games), teams change flights depending on performance. All teams advance to a playoff round and are guaranteed two games in the playoffs.
The Sunday Pizza league is a fun league that is ideal for newcomers to the sport, for curlers looking to try a new role, or for people looking for a more relaxed schedule. Teams are comprised of four players of any gender. The league plays 14 games a year, from October to March/April, with no playoffs. Games are played at 5:45 pm on Sunday afternoons. There are also two clinics put on by the section, or optional "tag" draws that are just a fun time to mix it up on the ice. Periodically throughout the year, games end with a pizza dinner provided by the section. Other potluck snacks, including cookies, salads, or other sides are highly encouraged! It is a great way to bond with the other team after stepping off the ice.
The Sunday Pizza league only accepts 8 teams per year (with returning teams having first priority for spots in the league), and as such tends to fill up quickly.
The Sunday Open is a beginner to semi-competitive league that can accommodate 24 teams. Each team is assigned to one of three flights (A, B & C), which contain eight teams each. Every team plays up to 24 games per season, which include three, seven-game round robins (“draws”) and three playoff games. Teams may move up or down a flight based upon their won-lost records. This enables teams to find their appropriate skill level so that games remain both competitive and fun. The third and final week of playoffs concludes with an end of season celebration where players can eat, drink and socialize while we award prizes to our top teams.
Games are played at 5:45 pm (4 sheets) / 8:00 pm each week (8 sheets).
The Monday Skins league is an open league (ie. teams can be any combination of men and women). Games in this league alternate between 6:45 pm and 9:00 pm every Monday evening. You can enter as a full or partial team, or as an individual.
Each week, teams play for the 15 skins which are up for grabs in the game. In order to win the skins in any end, the team with hammer has to score two or more points, or the team without hammer must steal. If an end is blanked or the team with hammer only scores a single point, the available skins are carried forward to the following end. Games are 6 ends in length, with 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, and 4 skins available in respective ends. In the event there are skins still to be won after the sixth end of play, one player per team will draw to the button, with the team closest to the button winning the remaining skins.
Wednesdays, 9:30 a.m. - individual entry only; both men and women
If you are interested in playing skins on Wednesday mornings, then read on to learn more about how our league works.
- Games start at 9:30 am and must finish no later than 11:45 am.
- Each game will consist of 7 ends, with scoring in the following way: 1, 2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3 = 15.
- If there is a carry-over on the last end, one member of each team will draw to the button. If a second draw to the button is necessary, any member of the team can deliver it.
- Spares will be drawn from the list of spares and from the general membership of the club. A spare must play in the position for which he/she is sparing.
- Points will be assigned individually to determine the overall champion in each position.
- Points are awarded to curlers whether they are actually playing, or off due to vacations, illness etc. Spares are not awarded points.
- New teams will be created for each draw. Each draw will be 4 games.
- Each player throws in the order of his/her position.
- With our games starting at 9:30 a.m., we have 2 hours and 15 minutes to play. If the sixth or seventh end cannot be finished within this time frame, do not start that end. One team member shall draw to the button for the remaining points.
- A small levy will be charged to each skins participant which will be used for prizes and a season-end luncheon. In addition, there will be a small charge for post-game coffee service.
Are you wanting to curl but not able to commit to 20+ weeks of curling? Are weekdays just not an option for you? Then you may want to consider our "Super 7 Saturday Starter Series", a program aimed at curlers with 5 or fewer years of curling experience. Note: each team may have one player with more than 5 years' experience, but that player must throw lead rocks.
The program will be offered on Saturday mornings. Each session will begin with a 15-minute off-ice educational session in the lounge at 9:40 am. Games will be played from 10 am - noon on seven separate dates in the fall of 2023.
Here is all you need to know about our Super 7 Saturday Starter Series!
- The program is open to 64 adult curlers, either male or female with 5 or fewer years of curling experience.
- You can sign up as an individual, or as a full or partial team
- Games are scheduled from 10 am till noon on the following Saturdays: September 23; September 30; October 14; October 21; October 28; November 18 (note game time will be 12:30 pm on this date); December 9
- Season will conclude with luncheon after the final game and prizes
- You will be eligible to sign up as a spare for all regular Leaside Curling Club in conjunction with this program
- You will also be eligible to register and participate in club events and educational clinics
The focus of this series is developing skills and, more importantly, fun! Players are welcome to change their lineup each week to allow everyone the opportunity to play in different positions (note: this does not apply for any player with more than 5 years' experience).
The Open Doubles series is returning to Leaside Curling Club for the 2023/24 season.
Games will be played from 12:30-2:00pm (with one exception) on each of the following Saturdays:
- September 23
- September 30
- October 14
- October 21
- October 28
- November 25
- December 16 (note: 10 am start time)
- January 6
- January 20
- January 27
The league will follow the Curling Canada mixed doubles rules, except our league is open to teams with two members of any gender.
Games will be 8 ends.
Each team will be permitted one "power play" per game.
There is also an Open Doubles Funspiel planned for the afternoon of Saturday December 9.
Last updated: June 26, 2023